ESXi 5 upgrade requirements are above and beyond the standard ESXi installation requirements – they determine the state the ESX host must be in prior to upgrade.
Minimum ESX version: 4.0 ESX or ESXi
- An ESX 3 host can be upgraded to 4, and then upgraded to 5
- vSphere Update Manager
- Interactive upgrade via DVD
- Scripted upgrade
- ESX 4 host with an incompatible disk partition
- Often result from ESX 3 host upgraded to ESX 4
- ESX 4 host with missing, inaccessible, or corrupt Service Console VMDK
NOTE: By definition, “upgrade” refers to updating the current system. Pay note that this is different than a new install, such as using vSphere Auto Deploy.